Nurse Practitioners and Physicians Assistants
What is a Nurse Practitioner?
A nurse Practitioner is a Registered Nurse (RN) who has several more years of advanced education and clinical training in a health care specialty area (e.g. OB/GYN). Nurse Practitioners are qualified to provide you with many health services including the treatment of minor illnesses and common infections and will refer you to a physician if a serious health problem is discovered.
What services do our OB/GYN Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants Provide?
Our OB/GYN Nurse Practitioners and Physicians Assistants offer expertise in reproductive health as well as primary care woman's health issues including the following:
- Physical Exams, including Pap Smears
- Colposcopy and management of cervical disease
- Women's health and wellness counseling
- Contraception and women's sexuality
- Screening and follow-up for sexually transmitted disease
- Care before and after menopause
- Pregnancy care for OB patients
- Evaluation and treatment of common infections and minor problems
- Management of female urinary problems
- Cancer prevention and detection
- Treatment of conditions unique to and different for woman
- Screening and referral of other health problems
How Does a Nurse Practitioner and Physicians Assistant Care Compare to a Physician's Care?
Nurse Practitioners and Physicians Assistants care for the healthy woman with typical health care needs, as well as patients with simple acute illnesses. They also focus on well-being and preventing health problems. Physicians are trained to treat complex health problems which may require complicated treatment or surgery. Nurse Practitioners and Physicians Assistants enjoy talking about ways to keep your body healthy. The high quality of care provided by Nurse Practitioners and Physicians Assistants is well known. Consumer and government studies have shown that Nurse Practitioners and Physicians Assistants are skilled clinicians and patient educators. Our Nurse Practitioners and Physicians Assistants participate in ongoing clinical meetings with our physicians as well as continuing education at national conferences.